Flower boxes are an excellent choice when space is available at a premium, or in situations in which there’s no access to a yard. Perhaps you live in an apartment or condo building and don’t have a yard, or you’d like to make use of more vertical space in order to accent your home with even more plants!
Regardless of your particular situation, read on to find out more about some of the best flower boxes for railings, windows and fences that are on the market.
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
The best flower boxes for railings
A flower box of this type can be hung from the railing of a balcony or fence with hooks, or attached to the top of the railing with screws, depending on whether you have a slim, round railing or a thicker, square railing. Each has its own benefits, but both are capable of providing beautiful space for plants.
Bloem Deck Balcony Rail Planter
This planter has a 4.5-star rating and more than 400 reviews on Amazon. It’s meant to sit on top of a railing and can be secured with screws so that it doesn’t fall off. It’ll make an excellent addition to the railing of a balcony, patio, porch or deck, as long as the chosen railing is wide enough for the planter to sit on top (as opposed to being hung).
Features and benefits
- IDEAL CAPACITY – This planter holds 4 gallons and measures 24 inches long by 9 inches wide by 12 inches tall—a perfect amount of space for some simple succulents or annuals.
- CLASSIC COLORS – It’s available in black and terra cotta shades, which are made of fade-resistant plastic that’s also been FDA approved for contact with food.
- VALUE PACKS – Purchase options include just a single planter, or a pack of two, three, four, six or even 12 planters!
- DRAINAGE – Optional punch-out drainage holes in the bottom of the planter will allow you to decide if you want water to be able to drain out.
- TWO SIZE OPTIONS – This planter will fit rail sizes that are either 3.75 or 5.5 inches wide. If you use zip ties or screws underneath to secure it, it could also work with slightly smaller rail widths as well.
- The ability to screw these planters to a railing provides extra security during days with inclement weather, such as windstorms
- Great for keeping plants out of the reach of curious pets and children, or even animals scavenging for fruit and veggie plants!
- Sturdy and roomy; perfect for square-foot gardening, and can accommodate up to eight strawberry plants in each box, if you’re using this method
- You can enjoy fresh fruit, veggies, and herbs without having to leave your deck or balcony
- Doesn’t come with screws or zip ties to secure it
- May need extra drainage holes drilled into the sides or bottom, especially if you live in an area that’s prone to rainy weather
- The middle part of the planter (where it’ll sit on the rail) is quite shallow, so you’ll need to plant strategically around that
- May obscure the view, due to appearing tall and bulky while sitting on top of a railing
It’s easy to see why this planter is a best-seller for folks who lack yard space but want to do some gardening. Aside from keeping them out of the reach of critters, kids and pets, it’ll keep your plants at an easier working height, as opposed to positioning them at ground level. The main drawback associated with this planter is the need for additional drainage holes, which is a pretty simple thing to fix.
CobraCo HTR24-B 24-Inch English Horse Trough Planter
The CobraCo planter has a 4-star rating and more than 400 reviews.
In comparison to other planters, the key difference with this one is that it can hang from a railing instead of being mounted on top. Its hanging design may be ideal for folks who’d prefer not to screw a planter onto their railing.
Features and benefits
- VERSATILE – The adjustable brackets can be customized to hang from railings anywhere from 2 to 6 inches wide, or they can even be mounted to walls or under windowsills.
- SIZE OPTIONS – When it comes to the length, 24 and 36-inch options are available; a planter with either length is also 8 inches wide and 7 inches tall.
- COCO LINER – The coco liner is made from the fibers of coconut shells, which help retain sufficient moisture for plants.
- TROUGH STYLE – The sleek black finish on this trough-style planter makes it an attractive addition to any decorating scheme.
- Great value; planters of this style from other retailers tend to be more expensive
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Brackets are depth-adjustable
- The coco liner is included, instead of being sold separately
- Sometimes difficult to secure it tightly to a windowsill or wall
- Some complaints about quality and craftsmanship
The CobraCo planter is an affordable and attractive plant box for a railing on which a hanging box is preferable to a mounted railing box. The coco liner will serve as an excellent growing material for most plants, as these liners hold onto moisture and minimize the amount of watering required, while also allowing for adequate drainage.
The best flower boxes for windows
A window box sits on a windowsill and can usually be used either inside or outside, depending on your preference. The main difference between the two uses is that an outdoor window box will need to be mounted to the outside of the home with brackets.
Lechuza Balconera Cottage
The Lechuza may be best described as the Rolls-Royce of window box planters.
It’s a more expensive option, but this planter comes with all the bells and whistles, from an easy-lift liner and a water level indicator to the optional brackets you can use to mount it under an outdoor windowsill.
Features and benefits
- TWO SIZE OPTIONS – The Cottage 50 and Cottage 80 are the two size options available; these measure 20 and 32 inches, respectively.
- DIFFERENT COLORS – Have your pick from granite, black, white or mocha!
- OPTIONAL BRACKETS – Choose a set of black or white brackets as an optional additional purchase, if mounting outdoors.
- EASY-LIFT LINER – Makes it easy to remove the liner for planting without having to dismount the entire window box.
- SELF-WATERING – A water reservoir and inorganic granular compound will provide just the right amount of water to your plants’ roots.
- WATER LEVEL INDICATOR – Designed to ensure that your plants are never over- or under-watered, and will tell you when the water reservoir needs to be filled.
- A visually appealing and well-engineered planter
- Self-watering system is extremely convenient and the water level indicator works well
- High-quality brackets that are well-made and secure
- Not cost-effective
- Brackets aren’t included, and come at additional cost
- If there’s a lot of rain, the water reservoir’s level may exceed its maximum capacity, which could lead to too much water showing up in the self-watering system
This is a beautiful and well-engineered flower box, but for users who are looking for something simple and affordable, this probably won’t be the right option. On the positive side, however, this flower box’s self-watering system allows for low-maintenance plants—a wonderful bonus for those who may not have a green thumb or the time to maintain a watering schedule.
Countryside Flower Box Planter
This is a top pick if you’re looking for a basic and affordable box planter for a windowsill. It has a 4-star rating and more than 200 Amazon reviews! The planter features a simple plastic design that can be easily mounted to an exterior wall with the addition of wall brackets (not included).
Features and benefits
- DIFFERENT SIZES – This planter box comes in lengths of 18, 24, 30 and 36 inches, in order to suit different window sizes. All boxes are also 8 inches wide and 6.5 inches tall.
- COLOR OPTIONS – Comes in brown, sage, terra cotta and white shades, all with a matte finish.
- DURABLE – Made of durable and fade-resistant plastic that’s suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
- DRAINAGE – A rubber stopper on the bottom of the planter can be removed for outdoor use, to allow for proper drainage, or it can be left in for indoor use in order to prevent leaks.
- Surprisingly durable plastic that holds up to the weight of soil and plants
- Cost-effective and good value for a simple planter
- Lightweight plastic design means it’s easy to transport and install
- Doesn’t come with wall brackets, so you’ll have to buy those separately for an outdoor windowsill
- Some users found the plastic to be too flimsy, but others found it sturdy
- Some users also felt the need to add extra drainage holes
The Countryside Flower Box Planter is a valuable and affordable option, whether it’s set up indoors or outdoors with the use of additional wall brackets. The availability of different sizes and colors means that these planters can be used in a wide variety of spaces.
The best flower boxes for fences
A fence can be an excellent backdrop for a vertical garden! You’ll be able to maximize the square footage of your yard that’s available for plant life by incorporating vertical planters or wall-hanging planters such as the ones described below.
Tosnail 2 Pack Metal Wall Hanging Planter Basket with Coco Liner
The Tosnail planter basket is a wonderful option if you’d like to add a bit of vertical garden space to one of your fences, or even to the exterior walls of your home.
These classic baskets have excellent customer ratings that indicate their status as a 4.5-star product.
Features and benefits
- DURABLE – Each metal basket is coated in plastic, to prevent it from rusting, and will likely last longer than a plastic planter.
- COCO LINER – Coconut fiber liners provide excellent moisture retention for plants.
- VALUE PACK – Tosnail offers this planter in a pack of two for excellent value and symmetry in your garden space.
- GREAT SIZE – Since each planter is 9.8 inches wide, 11 inches tall (the basket itself is 4.3 inches tall) and 4.9 inches deep, these can fit into many different spaces as an accent.
- Perfect size for accent plants or small herb gardens
- Excellent value for the price, especially since the listed price is for two baskets
- Simple to hang—all you’ll need to do is insert a nail or a screw in the wall
- Might be too small for some purposes, definitely intended as more of an accent than a larger planter
- May need an additional plastic liner, depending on what plants you put inside, in order to prevent soil from leaking through the coco liner
The main drawback with this basket is that it may be smaller than desired for a large vertical space such as a fence. Otherwise, it’s a beautiful accent basket that’s perfect for mounting on a wall in an indoor or outdoor space!
Meiwo 7 Pocket Hanging Vertical Garden Wall Planter
You’ll be able to create an entire vertical garden on your fence by using these hanging wall planters. Seven pockets allow for the addition of lots of greenery and diverse plant types.
These planters will come in especially handy if yard space is available at a premium.
Features and benefits
- SEVEN POCKETS – Allow for tons of wall coverage and a variety of plant types.
- VERSATILE – Great for flowers, hanging plants, vegetables, fruits, herbs and more!
- SPACIOUS – Each pocket can hold up to 2 kilograms (about 4.4 pounds) of soil!
- WATERPROOFING – A waterproof layer has been added to the back and the bottom in order to prevent damage to the ground and the fence or wall that each planter is attached to.
- MAXIMUM COVERAGE – Each hanging garden is 42 inches tall and 12 inches wide, offering lots of surface area coverage.
- EASY INSTALL – Simply hang hooks on the wall and hang the planter on the hooks. That’s it!
- Functional design constructed with high-quality materials
- Strong material that’s also aesthetically pleasing
- An easy upgrade for a boring fence
- A great way to have a veggie garden or herb garden when you don’t have enough horizontal space
- Some users found the pockets a bit too small for their purpose; each pocket can fit approximately one 5-inch plant or two 3-inch plants
- Requires regular watering because the pockets dry out quickly
- Pockets are close together
Based on customer feedback, Meiwo has recently upgraded its vertical garden design to incorporate waterproofing and deeper pockets. It’s nice to know that they take feedback seriously! Using this type of planter is an aesthetically pleasing and efficient way to add more space to any garden or even a balcony. It’ll also turn plain old fencing into a cornucopia of possibilities!